JBL Pulse 4
|Output power (W)||20|
|Dimensions (in)||3.8 x 8.1 x 3.8|
|Dimensions (cm)||9.6 x 20.7 x 9.6|
Control Connect Specifications
|Bluetooth profiles||A2DP V1.3, ACRCP V1.6|
|Bluetooth frequency||2.402 - 2.480GHz|
|Bluetooth transmitted modulation||GFSK, π/4 - DQPSK, 8DPSK|
Documents & Downloads
What’s in the Box
- 1 x JBL Pulse 4
- 1 x JBL-merket Type C-kabel
- 1 x Hurtigstartveiledning
- 1 x Sikkerhetsdatablad
- 1 x Garantikort
FAQs & How-Tos
The new PartyBoost does not support the previous Connect and Connect+ features. For example: You will not be able to successfully connect the new PartyBoost enabled Flip 5 with a Connect+ enabled speaker like the Pulse 3 or Flip 4. You will not be able to connect the Boombox 2 to the original Boombox speaker.
NOTE: Speakers effected by this are the JBL Flip 5, JBL Flip 6, JBL Charge 5, JBL Pulse 4, JBL Xtreme 3, and JBL Boombox 2, as well as all future products featuring the PartyBoost feature.
If you are having trouble with distortion or drop out, try the following suggestions:
Move the audio source closer to the speakers
Move the speakers closer to each other
Make sure the streaming speaker (host) only connects to one audio source, disconnect the Bluetooth connection between the streaming speaker (host) and other audio source
Make sure the audio source only connects with one streaming speaker (host), disconnect the Bluetooth connection between the audio source and other speakers
Restart both your speakers and the audio source
Make sure speakers are away from other sources of wireless signal – you could be experiencing interference
Re-pair the audio source with your speaker
If you’re streaming audio content from the internet, the issue could be with the internet connection and not your speaker
If you are experiencing a light show that doesn't move around very much, it is likely that you are not using a feature on your phone called Bluetooth Absolute Volume*. This means that the volume of your phone/tablet/device is controlled independently from the volume of the speaker.
So, if you have the Pulse 4 set to maximum volume or close to it, but the volume on your device is set at a low level, the light show will show little to no effect. All you have to do is reverse it. Turn up the volume on the device to the maximum and set the Pulse 4 to the desired volume. This will send the correct level to the speaker and the light show will show plenty of effect. This also benefits the sonic quality as well. Therefore, we recommend always having the volume on your device turned up to a high level and then adjusting the volume level on the speaker itself. This way you'll be able to enjoy the light show while also getting good audio quality. Or, if possible, setup your device for Bluetooth Absolute Volume*.
*BLUETOOTH ABSOLUTE VOLUME: Most phones/tablets/devices now use Bluetooth Absolute Volume (a.k.a. volume sync) by default. This is a feature that synchronizes the volumes of the device and the speaker, and allows the speaker volume to be controlled by changing the volume on either the device or the speaker. The volume being sent from the device is fixed at full volume.
Portable speakers with an Aux-in port, such as the Xtreme 3 and Boombox 3 - if connected through an Aux cable, should have less issues compared to using Bluetooth, however there can be issues with audio/video synchronization if used for this purpose.
Support for Bluetooth connectivity between a TV and speaker depends on a number of different factors such as Bluetooth & A2DP versions and Audio Codecs used by each device. This can vary based on the brand, model and age of the devices, however we cannot confirm if any specific combination of TV and speaker will work without issues such as latency or lip sync delay.
2. Press the Partyboost button on the first speaker.
3. Turn on the second speaker that you want to connect in Partyboost mode.
4. Now press the Partyboost button on the second speaker.
5. After a few seconds, both Partyboost speakers should connect and play together.
It can take a few seconds after music is started before sound will be heard from both speakers.
This is also the process for connecting more than two speakers in Party mode, simply turn on the other compatible speakers and press the Partyboost buttons.
This unit is IPX7 rated, which means that you can submerge the unit in water as deep as 3 feet (1 meter) for up to 30 minutes.
2. Once the app is downloaded choose app and wait for it to recognize your device.
3. Now that your speaker is highlighted, choose the gear located either below or to the right of the speaker image.
4. Once you choose the gear you will have the option to edit the name by clicking on the small pencil icon.
5. After you change the name, you will see a notification stating to "Reconnect to Apply New Name"
6. Go to your Bluetooth settings select "Forget This Device" and then reconnect to establish the new speaker name.
If there are drop out or connection issues when using PartyBoost or Connect+, it could be one of three things.
1. Units are too far apart (move units closer together)
2. Interference from other 2.4gHz wireless units in the area.
3. Unit is no longer working as designed
Here are some steps to isolate the issue:
Try taking the units out of the house and test it outside with no interference to see if you still experience connectivity issues. If you still experience connectivity issues, please try steps below:
Whatever unit drops off, remove that from the chain. Test the rest of the speakers and keep doing it until you find the speaker that is causing the drop outs. If all speakers begin to drop off, please try a different order and repeat. Repeat this process with each unit being the “main speaker”.
Make sure to turn off all WiFi/RF devices. (Router, laptop, baby monitor, Nest cams, IP cams, WiFi switches, WiFi outlets, WiFi lights, cordless phones, etc.)
You should be able to identify the issue/speaker by following these steps.
- Improved Bluetooth connection between speakers.
- A more powerful Bluetooth transmitter means that the speakers can be farther apart.
- Partyboost can only connect to other Partyboost speakers.
Unfortunately, this feature is not backwards compatible with previous models that have JBL Connect or Connect+.
Software updates for your speaker can be done using the JBL Portable app.
Download it from the Apple App store and Google Play store.
If there is an available update, look for the small red dot above the gear icon and follow the download instructions (see image below).
If you have an issue with your device it is always worth checking if there is a Software update available and performing the installation if there is.
The driver (software) should support the following Bluetooth protocols, to be able to play music/sound from your Computer/PC/Laptop:
• A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) driver for your Computer/PC/Headphones to transfer music.
• AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) driver to send skip/forward/pause/play music to your device
Always get the latest driver version available for your Computer/PC/Laptop.
To download the correct driver (software), visit the manufacturer's website of your Computer/PC/Laptop. They usually have a "Support/Download" section where you can find the correct driver. Otherwise, we advise you to contact their support.
- Supports Bluetooth 5.1 profile.
- Improves the stability of stereo setup using the JBL Portable* app.
- Improves compatibility with Mac computers.
- Enhances light show synchronization with music.
- Download and install the JBL Portable* app from the Google Play/App Store.
- Connect your Pulse 4 to your phone/tablet through Bluetooth.
- Open the JBL Portable app and wait for the Pulse 4 to appear.
- On the Pulse 4 screen, select settings (gear cog symbol).
- Proceed with installing the firmware update.
*JBL Portable is the new name for the JBL Connect app, the name will change in January 2021.
You can change the JBL Pulse lightshow via JBL Portable app.
1. Connect the Pulse with your phone, open the JBL Portable app and wait for app to recognize your speaker.
2. Click the Lightshow button to enter the lightshow set-up
3. Swipe left and right to change lightshow
4. Swipe to customized page, to select your favorite pattern and customize your lightshow
5. Click the color wheel to change color or enter camera color picker
6. Click the brightness button to adjust brightness of the lightshow
1. Turn on both speakers.
2. Connect your device to one of the two speakers via Bluetooth.
3. Start streaming music to that speaker (for best results play music on this speaker for more than 20 seconds before proceeding with the next steps).
4. Open the JBL Portable app.
5. Allow the app to detect the single speaker playing music.
6. Once detected, press the Connect/Partyboost button on both speakers.
7. Allow the app to identify both speakers.
8. Click the Partyboost button, you will see the option for Party or Stereo, select Stereo.
Please note: Stereo Mode can only be enabled when 2 of the same speaker model are used.
For example, you will not be able to achieve Stereo Mode with a Flip 5 and Flip 6, only Party Mode.
Also, it is not possible to pair speaker models with Connect and Connect+ together, or pair to speaker models with Partyboost.
• Try to shutdown other products that have Bluetooth, but are not being used. They are often the reason for interference even though they are not being used.
• Do not stand too close to your Wi-Fi router since a Wi-Fi signal is stronger and in many cases will "overlap" the connection.
• Be aware of walls around you. Concrete and brick walls will often interrupt the signal, as it cannot pass through such thick walls.
• Bluetooth signals cannot travel through water, which includes the human body. Make sure with wireless headphones to keep your source device and the receiver on the same side of your body.
• Open spaces such as parks can cause issues for your devices, as open air is "bad" for any Bluetooth signal if it cannot reflect from objects around you.
Keep reading this article, and we will instruct you on how to clean the glass and device.
How to clean your speaker
- Dirt and stains on your speaker can be cleaned under lukewarm running tap water.
- Use a soft cloth, preferably cotton, to clean the glass and to remove fingerprints. Hold the top part to avoid adding more prints to the glass part.
Contact our Customer support for more help and advice to keep your speaker top-notch!
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
Call us now at:
+47 21 93 29 30
Monday - Friday: 09.00-17.00
We are here Monday – Sunday to answer you as fast as we can!Email us
Chat with us
Monday - Friday: 09.00-18.00
Saturday - Sunday: 10:00-16:00