JBL Pulse 4
|Maximum music playing time (hrs)||12|
|Dimensions (cm)||9.6 x 20.7 x 9.6|
|Dimensions (in)||3.8 x 8.1 x 3.8|
Control Connect Specifications
|Bluetooth profiles||A2DP V1.3, ACRCP V1.6|
|Bluetooth frequency||2.402 - 2.480GHz|
|Bluetooth transmitted modulation||GFSK, π/4 - DQPSK, 8DPSK|
Documents & Downloads
What’s in the Box
- 1 x JBL Pulse 4
- 1 x JBL-merket Type C-kabel
- 1 x Hurtigstartveiledning
- 1 x Sikkerhetsdatablad
- 1 x Garantikort
FAQs & How-Tos
Pulse 4 Firmware Version InformationA new firmware version has been released for the Pulse 4 (Version 0.5.1.0), below is a list of the improvements:
- Supports Bluetooth 5.1 profile.
- Improves the stability of stereo setup using the JBL Portable* app.
- Improves compatibility with Mac computers.
- Enhances light show synchronization with music.
- Download and install the JBL Portable* app from the Google Play/App Store.
- Connect your Pulse 4 to your phone/tablet through Bluetooth.
- Open the JBL Portable app and wait for the Pulse 4 to appear.
- On the Pulse 4 screen, select settings (gear cog symbol).
- Proceed with installing the firmware update.
*JBL Portable is the new name for the JBL Connect app, the name will change in January 2021.
Pulse 4: Light Show has Low IntensityThe intensity of the light show is dependent on the amount of audio signal being sent into the unit.
If you are experiencing a light show that doesn't move around very much, it is likely that you are not using a feature on your phone called Bluetooth Absolute Volume*. This means that the volume of your phone/tablet/device is controlled independently from the volume of the speaker.
So, if you have the Pulse 4 set to maximum volume or close to it, but the volume on your device is set at a low level, the light show will show little to no effect. All you have to do is reverse it. Turn up the volume on the device to the maximum and set the Pulse 4 to the desired volume. This will send the correct level to the speaker and the light show will show plenty of effect. This also benefits the sonic quality as well. Therefore, we recommend always having the volume on your device turned up to a high level and then adjusting the volume level on the speaker itself. This way you'll be able to enjoy the light show while also getting good audio quality. Or, if possible, setup your device for Bluetooth Absolute Volume*.
*BLUETOOTH ABSOLUTE VOLUME: Most phones/tablets/devices now use Bluetooth Absolute Volume (a.k.a. volume sync) by default. This is a feature that synchronizes the volumes of the device and the speaker, and allows the speaker volume to be controlled by changing the volume on either the device or the speaker. The volume being sent from the device is fixed at full volume.
Charging the Speaker When WetYou will need to dry the charging port completely before plugging in power for charging.
Does this speaker have an Aux Input?This speaker does not have an Aux Input, so no analog connection is possible.
Setting up Multiple Partyboost Speakers in a Group1. Connect the first Partyboost speaker with your phone and keep music playing (for best results play music on this speaker for more than 20 seconds before proceeding with the next steps).
2. Press the Partyboost button on the first speaker.
3. Turn on the second speaker that you want to connect in Partyboost mode.
4. Now press the Partyboost button on the second speaker.
5. After a few seconds, both Partyboost speakers should connect and play together.
It can take a few seconds after music is started before sound will be heard from both speakers.
This is also the process for connecting more than two speakers in Party mode, simply turn on the other compatible speakers and press the Partyboost buttons.
JBL Portable App: PC Information
You cannot download the JBL Portable App on a PC. This app is only available on mobile devices.
How to Turn off the LightshowPress and hold the Lightshow button for more than 2 seconds to turn off the Lightshow.
Does my Speaker have Speakerphone/Voice Assistant Functionality?This product does not feature speakerphone or voice assistant functionality as it does not have a microphone.
Waterproof Information (IPX7)
This unit is IPX7 rated, which means that you can submerge the unit in water as deep as 3 feet (1 meter) for up to 30 minutes.
My device is waterproof, but what about salt water or chlorine water?
Your JBL speaker is waterproof with IPX7 rating. (IPX7 means it can survive immersion in 1 meter/3.3 feet for up to 30 minutes.) To maintain the looks and functions of your speaker, please make sure to rinse it with fresh water after using it at a swimming pool or the ocean, then dry off all covers and areas where water can gather. The standard for waterproofing is for tap water. Chemicals and salt in your pool or the ocean can damage the waterproof seals or harm the surface finish over time if not rinsed off after use.
How to restore factory default settings on your speaker
If you wish to reset your speaker due to various reasons, then keep reading, and follow along. 1. Press and hold Volume+ & Play/pause buttons down at the same time for more than 5 seconds. 2. The Pulse 4 will turn off, indicating that you did a successful reset. 3. Switch your Pulse 4 on again. 4. Connect with your favorite Bluetooth device and enjoy the music! Do you still have problems? Contact our Customer Service for more help!
Upgrading the software on your PartyBoost or Connect+ Speaker
Software updates for your speaker can be done using the JBL Portable app.
Download it from the Apple App store and Google Play store.
If there is an available update, look for the small red dot above the gear icon and follow the download instructions (see image below).
If you have an issue with your device it is always worth checking if there is a Software update available and performing the installation if there is.
What are the differences between Partyboost and Connect+Our newest products, such has JBL Pulse 4 and JBL Flip 5, feature a new technology called Partyboost .
- Improved Bluetooth connection between speakers.
- A more powerful Bluetooth transmitter means that the speakers can be farther apart.
- Partyboost can only connect to other Partyboost speakers.
Unfortunately, this feature is not backwards compatible with previous models that have JBL Connect or Connect+.
Setting up your Partyboost Speakers in Stereo Mode
1. Turn on both speakers.
2. Connect your device to one of the two speakers via Bluetooth.
3. Start streaming music to that speaker (for best results play music on this speaker for more than 20 seconds before proceeding with the next steps).
4. Open the JBL Portable app.
5. Allow the app to detect the single speaker playing music.
6. Once detected, press the Connect/Partyboost button on both speakers.
7. Allow the app to identify both speakers.
8. Click the Partyboost button, you will see the option for Party or Stereo, select Stereo.
How to clean the glass and deviceSo your Pulse 4 got dirt on it, or even fingerprints, and you want to show off the device the best way possible.
Keep reading this article, and we will instruct you on how to clean the glass and device.
How to clean your speaker
- Dirt and stains on your speaker can be cleaned under lukewarm running tap water.
- Use a soft cloth, preferably cotton, to clean the glass and to remove fingerprints. Hold the top part to avoid adding more prints to the glass part.
Contact our Customer support for more help and advice to keep your speaker top-notch!
Renaming of the JBL Connect App to JBL PortableThe JBL Connect app will be renamed as JBL Portable on the App Store and Google Play store in January 2021, it will still be possible to find the app in each store by searching for either JBL Connect or JBL Portable.
Pairing issues with a Computer or PCIn most cases when a Computer/PC/Laptop has issues connecting to a Bluetooth device (Portable speaker, Headphones, Active speakers), it's caused by your Computer/PC/Laptop's Bluetooth driver (software).
The driver (software) should support the following Bluetooth protocols, to be able to play music/sound from your Computer/PC/Laptop:
• A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) driver for your Computer/PC/Headphones to transfer music.
• AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) driver to send skip/forward/pause/play music to your device
Always get the latest driver version available for your Computer/PC/Laptop.
To download the correct driver (software), visit the manufacturer's website of your Computer/PC/Laptop. They usually have a "Support/Download" section where you can find the correct driver. Otherwise, we advise you to contact their support.
The standard drivers provided by Microsoft/Windows system are not correct and will result in error messages (such as having to enter a PIN code), or pairing will not work.
Information on different firmware versions on same products and models
There can be differences in the internal hardware that also implies different firmwares. These products feature the same specifications and performance expectations. If the app does not inform you of any new updates, the firmware is current and the product is performing as designed.
PartyBoost support on the JBL Connect and JBL Connect+
The new PartyBoost does not support the previous Connect and Connect+ features. For example: You will not be able to successfully connect the new PartyBoost enabled Flip 5 with a Connect+ enabled speaker like the Pulse 3 or Flip 4. You will not be able to connect the Boombox 2 to the original Boombox speaker.
Issues with the JBL Portable App and your Android device
There might be several reasons that our Portable app may not be working correctly on your Android device. First, your Android device must have 5.0 OS (Operating system) or higher to support JBL Connect app. Devices under 5.0 OS will not be supported. If you are having trouble viewing your JBL Portable device in the app, please disable Bluetooth, and then turn it back on again. Now you should be able to see your device in the JBL Portable app.
How to avoid Bluetooth Interference or Interruptions• Always have clear line of sight between your Bluetooth device (speaker, headphones etc.) and source device (Smartphone/tablet/PC etc). Be aware of obstacles in front of your devices.
• Try to shutdown other products that have Bluetooth, but are not being used. They are often the reason for interference even though they are not being used.
• Do not stand too close to your Wi-Fi router since a Wi-Fi signal is stronger and in many cases will "overlap" the connection.
• Be aware of walls around you. Concrete and brick walls will often interrupt the signal, as it cannot pass through such thick walls.
• Bluetooth signals cannot travel through water, which includes the human body. Make sure with wireless headphones to keep your source device and the receiver on the same side of your body.
• Open spaces such as parks can cause issues for your devices, as open air is "bad" for any Bluetooth signal if it cannot reflect from objects around you.
When I connect my JBL speaker with a computer (PC/Laptop/Apple Mac/Nintendo Switch), can I use the PartyBoost feature?The PartyBoost feature is not available when your JBL speaker is connected to a computer via Bluetooth. This is a technical limitation. When connected to a computer, the computer is acting as the primary device. Therefore, the JBL speaker does not have control of re-transmitting the Bluetooth signal to other JBL speakers.
NOTE: Speakers effected by this are the JBL Flip 5, JBL Flip 6, JBL Charge 5, JBL Pulse 4, JBL Xtreme 3, and JBL Boombox 2, as well as all future products featuring the PartyBoost feature.